About Gillian Brett Goldberg
During her childhood, her father – a labor arbitrator and labor law professor – instilled in her a deep respect for the labor movement which continues to motivate her commitment to the representation of labor unions. Gillian’s career in labor law was perhaps a forgone conclusion since her parents met while researching the reasons why some employees vote for union representation and others do not.
Gillian has experience in all aspects of traditional union-side labor law representation, including arbitration and negotiation. She has handled both unfair labor practice and representation cases before the National Labor Relations Board.
Gillian also has experience litigating employment and labor cases in both California State and Federal District Courts. She has handled cases involving:
- The Labor-Management Relations Act
- The National Labor Relations Act
- Federal and state claims of discrimination, retaliation and wrongful termination
Gillian has aided unions in multiple tasks, including:
- Training union officers on effective grievance handling and advocacy in arbitration
- Handling Department of Labor investigations and audits
- Repairing, revising and implementing personnel policies
- Revising and amending grievance and disciplinary rules, constitutions and bylaws
- Investigating staff and officer misconduct
- Making regular presentations to union officers and staff on topics ranging from sexual harassment to disability discrimination
Experience on Administrative Agencies and Courts
Prior to joining SR HOLGUIN, PC, Gillian spent over a decade as a partner at Holguin, Garfield, Martinez & Goldberg, APLC.
Education, Honors, and Professional Associations
Professional Associations and Honors:
- AFL-CIO Union Lawyers Alliance (ULA) (formerly Lawyers Coordinating Committee) Member
- California Lawyers Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Member
- Child Care Law Project’s Advocate of the Year Award, Public Counsel, 2007
- Los Angeles Trade Technical College Labor Center Adjunct Professor, 2015
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2006
- Northwestern University, Bachelor of Arts, 2002